Oct 8, 2016

Moths and Butterflies (Lepidoptera)

So when I Googled Moths, I learned this from Wikipedia:

"Moths comprise a group of insects related to butterflies, belonging to the order Lepidoptera. Most lepidopterans are moths; and there are thought to be approximately 160,000 species of moth,[1] many of which are yet to be described."

Many thanks to Alistair Fraser for his comments on identifying Moths and Butterflies and for identifying my photos which have been updated with the names:

"Many differences are outlined in a Wikipedia article,


but a striking difference is usually seen in the antenna: butterflies have clubs on the end; moth’s antennae are either plain (females) or feathery (males)."

Here are just six I have caught with my camera:


Mourning Cloak (Butterfly)

Western Spring Azure (Butterfly)

Cabbage Looper (Moth)

Ranchman's Tiger (Moth)


Green Comma (Butterfly)

Lorquin’s Admiral  (Butterfly)

No comments: